Sunday, September 6, 2009

TSS--Things That I Am Sick Of

The Sunday Salon.com

Another song for you this morning:


And now for the main rant event:

I'm not going to lie--lately there have been some things about books that have really been annoying me. 

Long-Ass Books

I've never been a fan of long books.  I suppose I have the attention span of a gnat, but I can't handle spending more than a week reading one book.  My TBR pile is too big and there are too many books in this world for me to read.  Usually this isn't a problem, but lately--is it just me, or does it seem like books in general have been getting longer?  Nowadays I heave a sigh of relief every time I come across a 300-pager.


Series

This kind of ties into the long books thing, but does every single book that's published have to be part of a series?  I recently read a book that was pretty good, but the fact that it was the first in a series annoyed the crap out of me, because it was over five hundred pages long and had no conclusion.  Because it's part of a series, of course!  Not only that, but a seven-book series ("at the very least," the author states on her website), which quite frankly I don't think the plot of the book warrants.  I don't mind when series makes sense, but in some cases it seems like a cop-out.  You don't have to write a conclusion because it's part of a series!  You don't have to come up with new characters because it's part of series!  Well, my gnat-like brain wants new characters and new ideas and is tired of series.  So I guess I don't have to keep reading them.


Prologues

Prologues are another thing I've had a long-standing issue with.  I do not read prologues.  If I'm going to read a novel, I want the story to start at the beginning.  Hence, I start reading at the beginning and not at the before-the-beginning.  But recently a writer twicked me by putting in a prologue, but not labeling it as a prologue.  Instead, it was called "Chapter One."  By the time I finished chapter three, I realized that I'd just read 40 freaking pages of prologue and didn't even know it.  Infuriating! 

I just want my novels to start at the beginning, have a middle part, a climax, a denoumet, and then an end.  Is that too much to ask?  If there's backstory and it can't be fit into the narrative, I really don't need to know about it.


Is there anything you're sick of seeing in books?

Powered by ScribeFire.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...