Monday, June 28, 2010

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

perfect chemistry cover

I have to admit the only reason I picked up this book was because I thought the promotional video for it (or videomo, as some call it--the author's website is kick-ass, by the way) was cute.  That is a pretty lame reason to buy a book, but I don't care, because I freaking loved it!

Brittany is the captain of the cheerleading squad and the queen of the Fairfield High School.  Alex is a gang member and he frightens the shit out of everyone.  She met him at the candy stooooore--oh, wait, no she doesn't... sorry, I got distracted there for a moment.  They don't really having anything to do with one another, for obvious reasons, until they're partnered together in their chemistry class.  Despite the fact that they would seem to be total opposites, Alex and Brittany are actually a lot alike--they both never show the world who they really are and what they're thinking or feeling.  Until they meet each other, of course.  Then sparks fly, etc. etc.  But in Fairfield, there is a definite, one might say almost Westside Story-esque, divide between northsiders (Brittany) and southsiders (Alex).  Will Brit and Alex be able to bridge the social and culture differances that kept them apart before chemistry class?  Will they get an A on their chemistry project?  And will Alex graduate from high school without being arrested?  I just don't know!

First of all, I love books that have this kind of storyline.  As with any genre, the true enjoyment of the novel comes not from what the plot line is, but how the story plays out; and for me Perfect Chemistry played out perfectly.  For the most part it's just pure fun, with Brittany and Alex getting into battles of wills and wits and playing practical jokes on each other.  It's also serious when it needs to be, though.  Furthermore, I loved the characters:  Brittany at first does seem like a prissy little bitch, but she has likable qualities that come out in the course of the book.  Likewise, Alex acts like a total jack-ass when you first meet him in the book, but becomes likable as the story progresses.  In fact, Alex is an AWESOME character.  I really liked the fact that the reader's journey mirrors the characters' as they get to know one another.

For me, this was a perfect book about high school.  The only thing that was missing was the big dance/game at the end where everything happens.  But I didn't really miss it that much, so it was okay.  This book was great and awesome and enjoyable and you should read it.

And now for the Perfect Chemistry video blog!  Just because I need to get it out of my system:







Shop Indie Bookstores



Powered by ScribeFire.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...