Friday, December 24, 2010

Favorite Not-Holiday Movies

la confidential still

Like most people, I enjoy watching particular movies during the holidays.  Unlike most people, however, I've never watched holiday movies during the holidays.  I didn't even realize this until one year when my friend and I were talking about holiday movies (my friend was a film major so movies were our main topic of conversation).  She asked me what my favorite holiday film was and I replied, "Probably LA Confidential." 

My friend: "What?  LA Confidential isn't a holiday movie."

Me: "Part of it takes place during Christmas and it was released at Christmas.  Isn't that enough?"

APPARENTLY NOT.  Unbeknownst to me at the time, there are actually films whose whole plots center around the holidays.  Considering I didn't even know what A Christmas Story was until my 20's, and still have yet to see It's a Wonderful Life in its entirety, it's probably not much of a surprise that I was clueless about that. 

Huh.  Well, whatever.  I do have my "holiday" movies--even if some people might not consider them holiday movies per se--that I like to watch to cheer me up.

The Movies:
  1. LA Confidential--Nothing like a little murder, prostitution, and shoot-outs to put a person in the holiday spirit!  Seriously, I think this might be the best holiday movie ever.  Russell Crowe and Guy Pearce are enough to put anyone in a cheery mood.
  2. Kate & Leopold--This is a very charming movie that gives me the warm fuzzies.  Why can't men like Leopold actually exist?  Why?!?  Also, I'm a huge Liev Schreiber fan just because of this film, and Hugh Jackman is arguably the sexiest man alive right now.
  3. Harry Potter--I kind of go into Harry Potter glomania during the holidays.  I read the books, I watch the movies... I seriously consider buying a DA t-shirt or a snitch necklace.  And again, there are Christmas scenes in the movies, so why aren't these considered "holiday" movies??  Honestly, these rules make no sense.
  4. Little Women--The only scenes I ever remember from this film involve snow, food, and singing, so CLEARLY it must be a holiday movie, amirite?
  5. A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All--Okay, that thing about me not liking any holiday movies was a lie.  I actually do like A Colbert Christmas.  I like it so much I watch it even when it's not Christmas.
I guess the point of all this is *ensue heart-warming wrap-up* that what really matters when it comes to Christmas movies is how they make you feel.  If a movie makes you feel cheerier, kinder, and better about the world in general, then it can legitimately be called a holiday movie!

Do you have any non-holiday movies you like to watch during Christmas and New Year's, or are you a straight-up holiday movie person?

And before I forget...

Merry Christmas!



Powered by ScribeFire.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...