Sunday, March 20, 2016

Sunday Snapshot for the first day of Spring!


Spring is here! Thank god. Now that the days are longer I feel like I'm finally accomplishing things (even if I'm not).

Currently reading:
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie: Decided to go with this as my next audiobook since it was on Hoopla. Narrated by Dan Stevens!

Hacker, Hoaxer, Whistleblower, Spy: The Many Faces of Anonymous by Gabriella Coleman: I'm always fascinated by Anonymous and this seems to be the book to get on them.

I also finished Blue Lily, Lily Blue before I got out of bed this morning. The ending was kind of anticlimactic.

Movies watched:

the staircase
The Staircase, directed by Jean-Xavier de Lestrade

A true crime documentary that follows the trial of novelist Michael Peterson, who allegedly beat his wife at the foot of some stairs. Or pushed her down them?? The prosecution wasn't exactly clear on that, or much else. This movie made me very glad I don't live anywhere near Durham, North Carolina.

This week in heidenkindom: Au naturelle

These past few weeks I've been on an all-natural, holistic kick. It all started when I was watching Cooked. One of the things I learned from watching the series was that commercial yeast doesn't make the same loaf of bread as one made with naturally occurring yeast cultures. Commercial yeast is created to made the bread rise at an accelerated rate, which means the glutens don't break down through fermentation as they would with the slower-rising starter. Point is, I decided I was going to make bread with all-natural starter. I've spent more than a week feeding my starter and I think it's finally ready to bake bread. I haven't made the actual bread yet, mind (this is a long process), but my starter is bubbly and gluteny and exploded out of the glass jar I had it in last night, which aside from the cleanup made me happy.

I also fell down a rabbit hole of natural hair products. While I LOVED the purple dye, it really messed up my hair, and my usual shampoo and conditioner wasn't helping at all. So I took myself to the internet and discovered a whole group of people who refuse to use shampoo at all and only treat their hair with common pantry items (honey, vinegar, etc.). They call themselves the No-Poo Movement. Seriously. You can't make this shit up.

I decided to try this recipe for DIY honey shampoo, along with an apple cider vinegar rinse to condition. Both honey and ACV have enzymes that help with dandruff, skin conditions like eczema, and so forth (IF you use them in their raw, unpasteurized form, that is–nothing is easy). The honey shampoo was too much of a pain to use everyday, but it didn't make my hair sticky, and I think it did really help repair it. As for the apple cider vinegar rinse... TOTAL CONVERT. It works just as well, if not better, than conditioner, and is easier to rinse out (a big plus for me, since my hair is thick and washing it is a chore).

So, that's what I've been up to the last week. That and trying to keep the #BBIMarch flame alive. Hopefully next week will be more productive on the writing front.

Have a great week!



Discus this post with me on Twitter, FaceBook, Google+ or in the comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...