Sunday, June 26, 2016

Sunday Snapshot



Currently reading:

A Study In Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro: Quite enjoyable.

Judgment of Paris by George M Taber: Guys, I think this book might be pretty sexist.

The Attention Merchants: The Epic Scramble to Get Inside Our Heads by Tim Wu: Has the potential to be really interesting.

Movies watched:

Independence Day Resurgence, starring Liam Hemsworth and Jeff Goldblum

Do you really need a summary for this one? The aliens come back. Against all odds, the human species triumphs. If you were wondering why most of the major stars from the original Independence Day (coughwillsmithcough) aren't in this one, the script should put your questions to rest. All the "inspiring speeches" fall flat and the plot is an exercise in silliness.

My absolute favorite line: "They're drilling to our molten core!!!"


via GIPHY

Bottle Shock, starring Alan Rickman, Chris Pine, and Bill Pullman

I heard about this movie while scanning the Goodreads reviews for Judgment of Paris; they're basically about the same thing, though one isn't based on the other. Alan Rickman gets all the lines, which is as it should be; but do you know what my faaaaaaavorite thing about this movie was? How the one female character's single purpose is to sleep with the guys as a reward for making good wine. And I thought Judgment of Paris was sexist! At least that book didn't replace an actual woman (Spurrier's RL business partner, Patricia Gallagher) with a made-up male character, because hey, we already have two females who talk in this film, let's not confuse people. Great job as usual, Hollywood.

This week in heidenkindom:

Don't forget my cocktail book, The Introvert's Guide to Drinking Alone, comes out TOMORROW! Yeah!! I'm, like super pumped and simultaneously a bit nervous.

If you've missed any of the excerpts I've been linking to on Twitter and Facebook, you can see them all here.

I'm also planning to publish a paperback version, but I have some work to do reformatting for print before I get there.


Have an excellent week, everyone!



Discus this post with me on Twitter, FaceBook, Google+ or in the comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...